The NCAA announced host cities and venues for its championship events for the 2018-19 through 2021-22 academic years, and Ohio makes more than a few appearances. Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Dayton will all host various Division I events over the next half decade.
A quick summary:
- March 20 & 22, 2020 Men’s Basketball First and Second Round
- March 22 & 24, 2019 Men’s Basketball First and Second Round
- May 10-21, 2021 Men’s Golf Regional
- May 16-18, 2021 Women’s Volleyball Championship
- May 15-18, 2022 Men’s Golf Regional
- May 21-22, 2022 Men’s Lacrosse Quarterfinal
- March 17 & 19, 2022 Men’s Basketball First and Second Round
- March 19-20, 2019 Men’s Basketball First Four
- March 17-18, 2020 Men’s Basketball First Four
- March 16-17, 2021 Men’s Basketball First Four
- March 15-16, 2022 Men’s Basketball First Four
The marquee games here are of course the Men’s Basketball tournament. Every year thousands of fans descend on various cities throughout the country providing both an economic boon and opportunity for locals to see the purest, commercial free in-game experience in American sport. Dayton continues to cash in as the official host of the First Four play-in games. Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati will all take turns hosting first and second round games in the next five years.
Columbus far and away won this round of allotment, the jewel of which may be hosting the National Championship for Women’s Volleyball in 2021. Ohio State’s outstanding golf course will twice host a regional and Ohio Stadium will serve as an epic backdrop to the 2022 Lacrosse Quarterfinals.
Furthermore, Ohio will host the following Division II contests:
- March 8-9, 2019 Men’s Wrestling Championships
- March 11-14, 2020 Men’s and Women’s Swimming/Diving Championships
- March 26-29, 2019 Women’s Basketball Elite Eight
- March 23-26, 2021 Women’s Basketball Elite Eight
Rounding out the field are the following Division III games:
- December 2020 Men’s Football Championship
- December 2021 Men’s Football Championship
- April 22-24, 2022 Men’s Volleyball Championship
- May 23-25, 2019 Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track & Field Championships
- March 13-14, 2020 Men’s and Women’s Indoor Track & Field Championships
- May 27-29, 2021 Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track & Field Championships
- March 20-21, 2020 Women’s Basketball Championship
- November 19-21, 2020 Women’s Volleyball Championship
While fans will not get to enjoy these contests of a few years there is plenty of reason for Ohio sports fans to feel both excited and proud.