The Browns held their last practice open to the public before the preseason game against the Rams on Thursday. Practice changed from a day of installation to game planning for the Rams and making sure that all units were on the same page. The team practiced without contact in helmets and shorts.
As such, there was certainly less to observe and report.
The biggest takeaway from the session was in coach Rob Chudzinski’s comments following practice. When talking about his coordinators, Chudzinski said, “I think the biggest thing, and one of the things that is important to me, is having two coordinators calling the game that you have faith in. I can focus more on game management, whether that’s situational calls, whether that’s replay, whether it’s timeouts.”
If there were any lingering questions about who would be calling the plays on gamedays, they appear to be answered by his comments Tuesday.
When asked if he would be making suggestions in game to offensive coordinator Norv Turner, Chudzinski said, “One of the things I know, as a coordinator and a play-caller, you get in a groove, you get in a thought process, setting things up for later. Interfering too much I do not want to do, but at the same time, there’s a right time for suggestions and things like that, that hopefully I’ll pick out the right time for those.”
That should be music to the ears of Browns fans who suffered through two seasons of Pat Shurmur trying to do both jobs from the sideline.
WFNY asked coach Chudzinski if they would go into the game with a script of plays.
“We will,” he said. “Basically, we are going to be going in with our base offense, base defense, and our base calls. Special teams as well, and see how our guys execute them. Preseason, we will always hold a little bit back for the regular season. We are in a situation where guys are learning an offense, defense and special teams and so we want to see how they are going to execute our base package.”
– Guard Shaun Lauvao’s injury was not updated. Chudzinski said he still needed further examination. The Browns will provide an update tomorrow. Reading through the lines, that sounds like more than a sprained ankle.
– Coach Chudzinski would not comment yet on any individual players as to whether they would play in the game on Thursday.
– Dion Lewis took the bulk of the carries working with the first unit. Expect him to handle the majority of the running duties on Thursday.
– Jason Pinkston walked off the practice field early Tuesday night, but according to a report from the Plain Dealer’s Tom Reed, Pinkston was excused to attend a funeral. All coach Chudzinski said about Pinkston’s early exit was that it wasn’t a problem.
– WR Tori Gurley was a little more popular after practice with the media than he has been all camp long. Wonder what spurred that on?