The story surrounding Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde gets stranger by the day.
A report first surfaced over the weekend that Hyde was ‘a person of interest’ in an assault case in Columbus. A woman (a police officer’s daughter actually) alleged that a person she didn’t know, but could identify (which turned out to be Hyde) had struck her in the face at a bar in Columbus.
Monday morning, a report circulated that head coach Urban Meyer had dismissed Hyde from the team. Later that evening, it was determined that Hyde was not kicked off the team as previously thought, but was suspended indefinitely until the case was resolved.
Now Tuesday evening, new details are emerging that Carlos Hyde will be cleared and no charges filed because of a surveillance video. Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports has the report.
“Charges are not expected to be filed against Hyde after video from Sugar Bar 2 shows he didn’t appear to make contact with an alleged victim who claimed to have been assaulted early Saturday morning, a source who spoke to Yahoo! Sports on the condition of anonymity said. The source said video shows Hyde speaking in the direction of the alleged victim just prior to her punching him in the head. The video then shows Hyde leaving the area and reaching back in the woman’s direction in a non-confrontational manner, the source said. From the video, it doesn’t appear Hyde ever made contact with the woman – either before or after she struck him, the source said.”
If the new details of the case are true, Hyde would be immediately reinstated to the team and Ohio State would have its starting running back on the field again. More importantly, Carlos Hyde would be cleared of any wrongdoing.