— Mohamed Massaquoi (@MoMass11) August 11, 2012
This is what Browns receiver Mohammed Massaquoi said to a fan last night asking if he had suffered a concussion. The third-year Georgia product left Friday night’s preseason game against Detroit after sustaining a head injury during the Browns’ first offensive play.
Head coach Pat Shurmur didn’t provide specifics after the game yesterday about Massaquoi’s condition. The Chronicle-Telegram’s Scott Petrak said the team simply followed protocol per the NFL’s concussion policy. The Akron Beacon Journal’s Nate Ulrich provided this quote from the coach:
“I’m always concerned about injuries, and I think he’s gonna deal with this and we’re gonna go through the process,” Shurmur said. “And when he’s healthy enough to play, then we’ll put him back out there and not before that.”
Massaquoi, who missed games in 2010 and 2011 with head injuries, has been one of the highlights of training camp for the Browns so far this year. Shurmur has called him one of the team’s most improved players. Massaquoi was replaced during the game by rookie fourth-round pick Travis Benjamin, who was one of the bright stars of the 19-17 victory.